Even though the rear tire was still holding air and had plenty of tread left, I wanted to replace it to match the new front tire and due to the fact that it’s manufacturing date was 2005. Wouldn’t want it to start tearing apart once a load was applied to it.
The rear tire turned out to be a bit more challenging to replace than the front. The front wheel removal only involved removing the axle bolt and jacking up the front end of the motorcycle to get the wheel two drop out of the front brake caliper. The front brake caliper could have been removed to make it a little easier, but it wasn’t necessary.
On the rear tire, the manual indicates that you need to remove the brake caliper and the rear shocks so that the rear wheel can drop down below the exhaust pipes to remove the axle and then slide the wheel to the right to disengage it from the shaft drive.
Now the new front tire is not that much taller than the original, 100/90 vs. 90/90, but there was no way the rear wheel was going to drop far enough to get the axle past the exhaust, so the front wheel had to come back off to lower the front end and allow the rear swing arm to drop more pivoting about the center stand. Here is what it looked like when the rear wheel was able to be removed.
The rear tire size is 130/90-16 and a bit more than my hands could handle. On the front tire I was able to break the bead with just my hands, but that wasn’t going to happen with the rear, so I created a 2×4 bead breaking station in the shed and even with that it still took one person standing on the tire to hold it down, Thanks Dad!, and one on the lever to apply pressure to the bead and break it on both sides.
The 2×4 lever had quite a bit of bend to break the bead. Mounting it in a vertical orientation with a pivot bolt connecting it to the stud would have probably been stronger, but I had the hinge lying around.
I was then able to get the old tire off with tire levers again.
To install the new tire I gave the lashing strap idea a try thinking that it might work better with the wider tire, but it still didn’t work for me. Back to the tire levers and Yamalube Tire Mounting Lube and the new tire was on the rim. Had some trouble trying to get the bead to seat and air up the tire, but some more Yamalube and air pressure took care of that.
I probably should have purchased a 45° valve stem for this wheel, but the original was straight so I didn’t even think about it. It is a tight squeeze to get the air chuck in there and my valve core tool doesn’t fit within the available space. I need to remove the core to add the Dyna Beads, but that can wait for a bit while I start to work on the brakes.