Continuing with the inspection and cleaning of the braking system of the 1981 Suzuki GS650L, I broke down the rear caliper. Quite a bit more corrosion seen around the rear caliper pistons once the the piston boots were removed compared to what was seen on the front caliper.
I used the same method as with the front caliper to remove the pistons by connecting them to the front brake lever and using the hydraulic pressure to push them out. Both pistons came out at a fairly even pace, but once one side pushed out all the way, that was the end of that method. A couple of flat blade screw drivers opposed 180° from each other were able to gently pry out the remaining piston using the lip on the piston that holds the piston boot.
Again, once the pistons were removed and the rear caliper split in two, there was quite a bit more corrosion and sediment inside the rear calipers as compared to the front.
I then spent quite a bit of time pretending to be a dentist with a dental pick and scraped away all of the corrosion especially in the groove where the piston seal will sit.
I didn’t bother to clean up the piston seals and boots this time. They are 33 years old and not much money to get new OEM parts as compared to the importance of a properly working brake system.
Similar to the front caliper, the rear brake pads appear to have been replaced fairly recently with EBC Organic Kevlar brake pads Model No. FA36. I’ll keep those in place for now too.