Everything in the braking system has been broken down, cleaned up, and the necessary replacement parts obtained for the 1981 Suzuki GS650L. Now it is time to start putting everything back together.
I started with the front master cylinder since that was the last component that I took apart. As mentioned before, I purchased a full piston set for this master cylinder so it was just a matter of putting all of the pieces back into the cylinder and then placing the snap ring to hold it all together.
The pieces ready to go.
Snap ring back in place and the boot that I destroyed on removal back in place.
And then just reinstall the reservoir and brake lever.
Next up was the rear master cylinder. Very similar to the front, but I reused the original piston set. Parts ready to go.
I did replace the reservoir hose. It is not something that you can buy from Suzuki anymore, but I was able to find a hose at the auto parts store that will withstand brake fluid. The hose size I purchased was 3/8″ ID. I think the original was a just a little bit bigger since the new hose was a tight fit and I had to warm it up a bit to get it on the fittings.
Rear master cylinder completed.
Next up was the rear caliper. I did buy new piston seals, piston boots, and bleed screws for both calipers. In the rear, I also replaced the pins that the brake pads slide on and the seal for the port that allows brake fluid to flow to the second piston.
Parts ready to go.
The piston boots are pretty easy to install on the rear pistons since they connect to a lip that is outside of the piston bore.
And then the brake pads reinstalled on the new pins.
I also replaced the dust cover that was missing from the rear caliper when I purchased the motorcycle.
Last up is the front brake caliper and its parts.
The piston boot and piston are a bit more challenging to install on the front caliper. The piston boot on the front inserts to a lip that is inside of the piston bore, so you can’t install the piston boot after the piston is in. I found that if you get the piston boot started on the piston so that it extends below the piston like a skirt you can get the boot engaged and then insert the piston all the way into the caliper. A paint can opener also helped press the boot into it interior groove.
I also used a small bar clamp to help drive the piston in to the caliper. Hand pressure was enough in the rear since there wasn’t anything in the way. Once the piston was in deep enough I could reinstall the pads.
I also replaced the small plastic inspection port that was missing at purchase time.
So that it is it. The brakes are now ready to be reinstalled on the motorcycle. Getting closer…