While waiting for my new regulator/rectifier to arrive I took a look at another area for electrical improvement, voltage to the coils. A quick voltmeter test showed that there is a reduction at each coil of 2.3 volts compared to the voltage at the battery. At startup this means that the coils were only seeing 10.2 volts of electricity instead of 12+ volts. A common modification is to install a relay that will provide full voltage to the coils by connecting the coils directly to the battery via the relay.
Here is a wiring diagram of what the finished modification will look like:
I purchased a Bosch 332019150 Relay that has two 87 pins so that I could wire each coil independently.
Each of the coils has an orange with with white stripe lead that provides voltage to the coils after passing through the ignition switch and kill switch. I removed these two wires from the coils, paired them together and joined them to pin 86 on the relay to be the trigger.
New wires were then run from 87 pins of the relay back to the original location on the coils where the O/W wires were connected. I used 16 gauge white wire for each of these new connections.
I then ran 12 gauge black and red wire back to the battery to provide full power to the relay through pins 30 and 86. The relay is wire tied to the small frame cross member behind the coils and will be under the fuel tank when in operation.
I may tweak this wiring as I work on a single point ground and install the new regulator/rectifier, but for now, the coils are only seeing a 0.1 volt drop from battery voltage with the relay in place.