While doing all of these other activities I have still been trying to tear down the engine on the 1981 GS650L so that I can replace the broken cam chain guide. The next step was to remove the clutch cover and move further in to removing the engine internals. There are 10 Phillips head bolts holding on the clutch cover and they didn’t not want to move. Since I have time and would rather not break anything else, I have been slowly beating on it with an impact screw driver and penetrating fluid when the time was available. Finally, this weekend all of the bolts came loose. I thought the last one was going to strip before it came out, but they all came out successfully. I will be investigating options for replacement bolts before putting everything back together.
The bolts in the following picture were removed from the clutch cover in a counter-clockwise pattern from the bolt on the far right which came from the upper right of the clutch cover. The bolt four from the right was the one that ended up giving the most difficulty to remove, but none came out right away.
Once the clutch cover was off, it as time to get in to the clutch. First was the removal of the clutch pressure plate using the Tusk clutch holding tool. The pins on one side first hold the pressure plate and later the arms hold the clutch basket in place.
Springs and plate removed.
The next step is to remove the clutch mounting nut which unfortunately I did not have a socket large enough. I confirmed that it was 32 mm using an old bicycle head set wrench.
So I am off to find a 32 mm socket. I will leave the clutch plates in place until I am ready to remove the entire clutch basket.