Last year the rear came chain guide inside the engine of the 1981 Suzuki GS650L snapped in half causing the timing to jump and bend one intake valve. Since then I had been tearing down the engine to remove and replace the broken cam chain guide. It is fitting that as I start to rebuild the engine, the first piece to go back in is the new cam chain guide that I was able to obtain from eBay.
The next steps are just dropping the crankshaft back in, the main shaft, the output shaft, and the secondary driven gear assembly to the upper half of the crankcase.
The only pieces that are installed in the lower crankcase half before joining the two halves together are the gear shifting cam and the gear sifting forks. With the transmission set in neutral and the gear shifting cam in neutral the two halves of the crankcase can be joined together.
There are quite a few bolts and different sizes holding the crankcase together, so I did a dry fit first to remember where they all go…
Once that was figured out it is necessary to apply a liquid gasket to the mating surfaces of the crankcase. Since the manual is 27 years old and things change over the years, there is not a lot of agreement on which bonding product is best. I went with Honda Bond which had similar characteristics as the original Suzuki Bond No. 1215.
The only trouble I had with the Honda Bond was that as I was trying to squeeze it out of the nozzle it blew out the end seal of the tube. Got a little messy, but it still worked out ok. Just won’t have that tube for another use.
Once the two halves were lined up and the bolts torqued to specification, the crankcase was looking pretty good.
Next, I need to finish cleaning and painting the oil pan so that I can get that installed and flip the engine back over to continue on the top end.
I have now had the 2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200 for one year. One of the main reasons for upgrading to the Multistrada, besides the fact that it is all around awesome, was better wind protection than my previous bike to help extend the riding season in the northeast. Now the fact that I am an All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT) person, which for me is boots, pants, jacket, gloves, and full face helmet regardless of the weather, and the combination of the recent high temperatures and humidity have had me wondering what I can do to improve the warm weather riding while still having the benefits of the extended spring and fall riding.
The first thing I did was look at smaller windscreens to not deflect as much air away from the rider. After much research I purchased the Shorty windscreen from California Scientific. The CalSci Shorty windscreen for the Multistrada is about 5″ shorter than the stock windscreen at the center-line of the screen.
The windscreen comes with the mounting hardware which is just 3 machine screws with black button top covers.
There are a couple of extra button covers included which should be nice since I will be swapping the screen at least once a season.
Also included in the package was a microfiber towel, cleaning solution, and a tire pressure gauge.
Swapping the windscreens is very straight forward. Just remove the three Allen head bolts from the OEM screen, swap the screen, and screw in the CalSci Shorty with the machine screws and pop on the button covers. The OEM screen is a little nicer in the mounting details to me with the flush mount Allen head screws vs. the button covers on the CalSci screen.
I believe that CalSci has put a lot of research into their alternative windscreens. One thing you can see with the shorty screen is that the leading edge does not sit flush with the body work as the OEM screen does. This may help with turbulence around the screen by allowing some air to flow in behind the screen and reduce the differential in air pressure from the front to the back of the screen.
While under way I am satisfied with the additional airflow and the smoothness of the airflow. It still gets hot if you are stuck in traffic though… Nothing you can do about that.