Previously I had run through the electrical charging system tests created by the group over at GS Resources as shown in this post: Electrical Charging System. The results showed that the charging system was running a little bit low and my decision was to replace the regulator/rectifier and improve some of the existing wiring connections which did show some improvement as shown in this post: Regulator/Rectifier Replacement.
At that time, I decided that the stator still had life and did not replace it, but now that the engine was completely torn down it was an opportune time to take care of this as well.
A new OEM stator is quite expensive which was another reason for not replacing the stator before, but there are a few options for aftermarket replacements. I chose a unit from Caltric.
While waiting for the new unit to be delivered, I was wondering about the plug that encapsulates the three wires and seals off the stator cover to the engine crankcase. I was wondering if I would have to figure out how to cut the old one off and reinsert to the new harness. I was happy to see that the plug was included, but then a little disappointed when it was not the correct distance between the wire sheathing for it to fit into the stator cover at the correct location. A bit of trimming of the sheathing and sliding the plug along the wires took care of that.
Once that was sorted, the stator and cover could be remounted to the engine with a new set of Allen head bolts.
The same was done for the clutch cover on the other side.
The valve cover still needs to be cleaned up and installed and then waiting for better weather to find out if these repairs have met the goals of restoring this engine.
In a continuation of the Part I post, I continued with the cleaning and polishing of the Clutch and Generator covers. The same procedure was followed as done in Part I.
Both covers were in pretty bad shape, but the generator cover was really washed out and oxidized.
A couple of hours later, both were looking much better.
Still a couple of things to do behind the clutch and generator covers before they can be reinstalled to the engine, but things are looking promising.
I started trying to improve the appearance of some of the engine covers today before they go back on the engine. I started with the smaller pieces of the signal generator cover and the secondary drive cover to see how the method would work out.
The first step was to pry off the old DOHC emblem and then hit the pieces with some Aircraft Remover to try and get through any clear coat that might still be covering the oxidized areas.
The Aircraft Remover and a bit of light standing started to make things look better right away.
The remainder of the work was a sequence of different buffing pads from Chemical Guys on the Porter Cable 7424XP random speed, orbital buffer and the Vintage Aluminum and Metal polishing compound that I bought at a local motorcycle show a while back.
I used the same polishing compound with the different buffing pads rather than one pad with multiple compounds. Each pad from Chemical Guys has a different cutting and polishing composition. It worked well, but I may try some different strength compounds as well on the bigger pieces.
As indicated in the Biker Wax directions, a lot of black residue was generated with the Vintage polish.
After going through the series of five buffing pads, both pieces were really starting to look good.
The new emblem really helps too. The emblem is just laying on top for now. These pieces should look really good along with the other covers once they get reinstalled to the engine with new Allen head bolts as well.
Thanks for looking.