One thing that I thought I was going to have plenty of time to do this winter was to clean and paint the engine cases before putting the engine back together in the spring. Turns out it is cold in the winter and not that easy to clean some of these components. For some of the smaller pieces I was able to soak then in my parts cleaning 5 gallon bucket which striped off the old paint and other dirt to get them ready for painting. The engine cases were too large for the 5 gallon bucket which required some warmer weather and outside, running water to get things done.
The cylinders and cylinder head fit in the 5 gallon bucket which was nice due to all of the nooks and crannies.
I didn’t take many photos of the cylinder head before cleaning and painting, but the following is close.
After it was dipped and cleaned as good as I could, I had to mask off all of the areas that I did not want to get painted.
For all of the circles that cover the various threaded wholes, I used a socket to cut circles out of the masking tape.
I then used primer and paint from VHT (Very High Temperature) paint. Cast aluminum was the color choice for the final paint color.
The cylinders went through a similar progression.
The two halves of the engine case were more of a challenge as they couldn’t fit into the parts cleaning solution. I tried a number of things from Gunk Engine Degreaser, brushing on parts cleaner, wire brushes by hand and in the drill, but in the end the one that worked best was POR-15 Cleaner and Degreaser.
Bottom half of the engine case before:
The same was done for the top half of the engine case, although a bit more masking effort since I did not pull the cylinder studs.
Top of engine case before:
It was probably a good thing that the engine cases did not fit in the parts cleaner since no damage was done to the internal paint in some areas, but it would have been helpful for removal of the old bits of gasket still stuck in various places. Lesson learned was that I should have done a better job of old gasket removal before painting. The gasket removal work that still needs to be done could potentially do some damage to the new paint that will need to be touched up.
There are a few more pieces to clean and paint, but at least now I can start rebuilding the engine.